By Kerson Huang
This attention-grabbing booklet presents the actual and mathematical history for a conception describing the universe as a quantum superfluid, and the way darkish power and darkish subject come up. proposing a singular conception spanning many alternative fields in physics, the main innovations in each one box are introduced.The reader is just anticipated to grasp the rudiments of condensed subject physics, quantum box concept and basic relativity to discover this attention-grabbing new version of darkish topic and darkish power as elements of a cosmic superfluid.
Read or Download A Superfluid Universe PDF
Best astrophysics & space science books
This certain e-book presents a transparent and lucid description of a number of features of astrophysics and cosmology in a language comprehensible to a physicist or newbie in astrophysics. It provides the main issues in all branches of astrophysics and cosmology in an easy and concise language. The emphasis is on at the moment energetic learn components and interesting new frontiers instead of on extra pedantic subject matters.
The extrasolar planets are one of many examine focuses of recent astronomy. Their detection within the shut area in their superb significant stars require the top attainable talents in observational accuracy, device functionality and information evaluate. The research of these items yield new insights into the physics and chemistry of planets usually, for this reason into the starting place of our domestic international.
Mars has lengthy been believed to were chilly, useless and dry for aeons, yet there's now remarkable new facts that not just used to be Mars a comparatively hot and rainy position in geologically fresh occasions, yet that even this day there are tremendous reserves of water frozen underneath the planet’s floor. in addition to casting attention-grabbing new insights into Mars’ previous, this discovery can also be forcing an entire reconsider concerning the mechanisms of worldwide planetary switch and the chance that there's microbial lifestyles on Mars.
- Astrophysical formulae
- Physics over Easy: Breakfasts With Beth and Physics
- Solar System Astrophysics: Planetary Atmospheres and the Outer Solar System
- Stellar Interiors: Physical Principles, Structure, and Evolution (Astronomy and Astrophysics Library)
- Solar Dynamics and Magnetism from the Interior to the Atmosphere
Extra resources for A Superfluid Universe
Rev. D 9, 2273 (1974).  C. Pathinayake, A. Villenkin, B. Allen, Phys. Rev. D 37, 2872, (1988).  R. L. Davis and E. P. S. Shellard, Phys. Lett. B 214, 219 (1988). com by LA TROBE UNIVERSITY on 10/29/16. For personal use only. 1 A Superﬂuid Universe master Higgs Why Higgs In the standard model of particle theory, the vacuum is ﬁlled with a complex scalar ﬁeld called the Higgs ﬁeld, introduced to give mass to the vector bosons that mediate the weak interactions, like the order parameter in superconductivity that gives mass to the photon, as discussed in Chapter 1.
4) page 46 July 14, 2016 9:16 ws-book9x6 A Superﬂuid Universe master 47 Renormalization In Wilson’s method , we lower the cutoff Λ0 to Λ by integrating over modes with momenta lying between Λ0 and Λ. com by LA TROBE UNIVERSITY on 10/29/16. For personal use only. 5) This is a coarse-graining process that deﬁnes a new action S , corresponding to a renormalized system with a lower cutoff Λ. The coupling parameters in S are generally different from those in S. Thus, the appearance system is changed, even if the basic identity of the system remains the same.
7 Velocity distribution in quantum turbulence in superﬂuid helium. It deviates from the Gaussian distribution of classical turbulence in that it has a powerlaw tail coming from vortex reconnections. From . cross themselves, because of Kelvin’s theorem in the classical case, and reconnections in the quantum case. As far as the power spectrum is concerned, such vortex line belongs to the universal class of random self-avoiding walk (SAW), which features an exponent of 5/3, and also applies to a polymer chain .
A Superfluid Universe by Kerson Huang